.

subscribebutton1

Log in
x
Register
x

Search - Documents
Search - Articles and Content

 

Residents' Association Forum

 

General => General Discussion => Topic started by: Keith on June 24, 2013, 09:48:30 AM

 



Title: New Editor of TDT
Post by: Keith on June 24, 2013, 09:48:30 AM
I'm delighted to say that a new editor for TD Today has volunteered - see particulars on the magazine page of this site.

Moreover, two other, equally well-qualified, candidates stepped forward almost as soon as the new appointment had been made!  Their chance may yet come.....

I have enjoyed editing this esteemed organ but after seven years it was time for a change and a fresh editor.   One thing is sure: he won't run out of material, for there's a story behind every front door in these villages, and the civic issues which the RA spends so much voluntary effort to address will surely continue.

My thanks to readers who have engaged with the mag, written for it, and contacted the editor (usually supportively, very occasionally with breathtaking complaints and incivility - which I confess appealed to my aberrant sense of humour).  It has been a fair bit of work but a lot of fun.

I'll continue to write local history pieces if asked.


Title: Re: New Editor of TDT
Post by: Juninho on June 24, 2013, 09:55:07 AM
Excellent stuff !

Well done Keith on all your work to date on the magazine.

Did I ever mention to you that the magazine was one of the reasons we actually chose to move to Thames Ditton ?

So you are to blame... !

;)


Title: Re: New Editor of TDT
Post by: craigvmax on June 24, 2013, 10:27:28 AM
Well done matey and good luck to the new ed.


Title: Re: New Editor of TDT
Post by: rytheman on July 06, 2013, 02:20:17 PM
Quote from: craigvmax on June 24, 2013, 10:27:28 AM
Well done matey and good luck to the new ed.
What he said. A lot of what we take for granted in Thames Ditton, including the [high] [just added that word on reviewing the post] standard of the magazine, is due to a lot of hard work.

Thank you!


Title: Re: New Editor of TDT
Post by: Keith on July 09, 2013, 10:58:58 AM
Many thanks.

Only had two telephone calls complaining about the latest (and my final) issue!  There's always someone.....


Title: Re: New Editor of TDT
Post by: Juninho on July 09, 2013, 11:16:43 AM
Complaints? Goodness...

Go on then - please share!


Quote from: Keith on July 09, 2013, 10:58:58 AM
Many thanks.

Only had two telephone calls complaining about the latest (and my final) issue!  There's always someone.....


Title: Re: New Editor of TDT
Post by: mg on July 09, 2013, 03:40:13 PM
Hi Keith

Just wanted to add that when we moved to Thames Ditton the magazine was such a welcoming feature and made us feel at home very quickly.  Before your time I know, but subsequently your hard work has continued to make us feel very much part of a community.  I am sure that you will have your hands full with the website.
Many thanks again.


Title: Re: New Editor of TDT
Post by: Keith on July 10, 2013, 09:57:57 AM
Quote from: Juninho on July 09, 2013, 11:16:43 AM
Complaints? Goodness...

Go on then - please share!





Well, I'll share one of them because it was wholly uncivil and I have no idea who it is! It concerned the News item on a very bold and aggressive fox which has been harassing several residents, nipping one, chasing another, and (an incident that I did not mention because I had not spoken directly to the resident concerned) circling a pushchair with a very small person in it while the mother was loading her car.

I had a phone call from an irate woman who did not give her name or number. She asserted that I was "irresponsible" for publishing that, and she would "report it to a biologist" - I did not get a chance to comment that I was once a biologist.... The fox, she said, "was clearly a young one because it was in good condition." When I said that there were differing views on foxes, she slammed the phone down!

I haven't had a conversation like that with a mature female since I was in Primary school LOL. Hilarious.

Over the years there have been several similarly amusing episodes, including one from an outraged female  who objected to a cartoon and said she would cancel her subscription (I checked with our membership secretary and she hadn't paid one anyway!), and another from a woman who objected to the singling out for praise of a lady who had done sterling work for an event, on the grounds that others had also been involved (which fact had been mentioned but she hadn't read the item herself and was acting on hearsay).

Indeed, the subject would make an amusing article, but as I want to live in this village I had better not write it - there would be complaints!

P.S. The fox disappeared after the article was published, so we may have at least one vulpine reader!


Title: Re: New Editor of TDT
Post by: craigvmax on July 10, 2013, 10:14:57 AM
gotta love the general public


Title: Re: New Editor of TDT
Post by: Juninho on July 10, 2013, 11:28:35 AM
Sorry about that! If its any consolation - for every person who complains there are dozens more that are happy with your work.

I like how you are only sharing some of these stories _after_ passing on the mantle of TDT editor though!
Quote from: Keith on July 10, 2013, 09:57:57 AM
Quote from: Juninho on July 09, 2013, 11:16:43 AM
Complaints? Goodness...

Go on then - please share!





Well, I'll share one of them because it was wholly uncivil and I have no idea who it is! It concerned the News item on a very bold and aggressive fox which has been harassing several residents, nipping one, chasing another, and (an incident that I did not mention because I had not spoken directly to the resident concerned) circling a pushchair with a very small person in it while the mother was loading her car.

I had a phone call from an irate woman who did not give her name or number. She asserted that I was "irresponsible" for publishing that, and she would "report it to a biologist" - I did not get a chance to comment that I was once a biologist.... The fox, she said, "was clearly a young one because it was in good condition." When I said that there were differing views on foxes, she slammed the phone down!

I haven't had a conversation like that with a mature female since I was in Primary school LOL. Hilarious.

Over the years there have been several similarly amusing episodes, including one from an outraged female  who objected to a cartoon and said she would cancel her subscription (I checked with our membership secretary and she hadn't paid one anyway!), and another from a woman who objected to the singling out for praise of a lady who had done sterling work for an event, on the grounds that others had also been involved (which fact had been mentioned but she hadn't read the item herself and was acting on hearsay).

Indeed, the subject would make an amusing article, but as I want to live in this village I had better not write it - there would be complaints!

P.S. The fox disappeared after the article was published, so we may have at least one vulpine reader!


Title: Re: New Editor of TDT
Post by: Keith on July 10, 2013, 08:05:35 PM
Quote from: mg on July 09, 2013, 03:40:13 PM
Hi Keith

Just wanted to add that when we moved to Thames Ditton the magazine was such a welcoming feature and made us feel at home very quickly.  Before your time I know, but subsequently your hard work has continued to make us feel very much part of a community.  I am sure that you will have your hands full with the website.
Many thanks again.


Thank you, mg and others.  When I go to local events, the latest being the Secret Gardens and the Queens Rd in bloom events, I get many people saying how much they appreciate TDT.  It's that sort of support that makes the work of producing and delivering it worthwhile for the entirely voluntary team, and I know it will lift the new editor.

As for the complaints, they almost always tickle my sense of humour ("Disgusted of Cheam" &c &c) and add relish to life in the village.

I have other stories, Juninho, but you will have to apply drink to get them.


Title: Re: New Editor of TDT
Post by: Juninho on December 11, 2013, 09:40:11 AM
I'll bump this thread as I noticed on the main page re: Thames Ditton as we still need an editor.

Much as I'd love to help - I just would not have the time. I know its a poor excuse but its there (who knew a baby would take up that much of evenings and weekends).

I'll ask around to see who would be willing but posting in case other people reading this have someone in mind?

Both this (and I hope I am allowed to say this!) and the about thames ditton magazine are to me are part of what makes this a village.

The odd story about a chess champion, AC Cars ;), a bit of history (and scandal!) - all help to create a bit of a community feel.

This forum and the facebook page have also helped but the magazines are what I like to show off to friends, etc.


Title: Re: New Editor of TDT
Post by: Juninho on March 04, 2014, 11:29:25 AM
Another bump as I believe the search for a new editor is still on... (I got an email to that effect)...

Can we all ask our friends/family/neighbours to see if anyone is keen?

If it helps motivate someone - I promise to try and contribute an article or two!


Title: Re: New Editor of TDT
Post by: Keith on March 13, 2014, 01:12:27 PM
Yes, the Spring issue just out is my last, definitively.  It carries my farewell to readers:

"I have enjoyed my eight years as Editor of Thames Ditton Today.  During that time I introduced full colour throughout the magazine and added four pages of content, all at no extra cost from our excellent printers Impressprint.  I have tried to keep readers better informed through this regular news section, to keep the quality of writing high and the range of articles interesting, balanced and substantive.  I thank all the contributors who have made editing a pleasure, and all those kind readers who have given positive feedback and encouragement.  I am also most grateful to the fine team who help prepare and distribute Thames Ditton Today, particularly Advertising Manager Verity Park.

  Health and other preoccupations together with a certain fatigue mean that I must now give up the editorship, having signalled this over a year ago. Many have told me that the magazine is well worthwhile, but nobody has felt it worthwhile enough to make the commitment to take over.  I expect  that the Executive Committee of the Association will find a solution one way or another, but as I write, the future of the magazine and the nature of any successor publication remain uncertain.

So come on, potential editors, if you want to see the magazine continue.  There is never a shortage of material.  Quite the reverse - there's an interesting story behind every front door.  There are also dozens more local history stories for me to write for you.  There's a waiting list of advertisers, and a competent team. 

If you're prepared to make this voluntary commitment, please address enquiries to the Chairman, Vice-Chairmen or HonSec."



I expect there will be an interim issue (contact Ruth Lyon with material) but the future form of the Association's communication with residents is to be resolved.  The Association is still searching for a successor editor.  The job spec is here:  http://residents-association.com/pdfs/Editor_role_description.pdf 


Residents' Association Forum | Powered by SMF 1.0.7.
© 2001-2005, Lewis Media. All Rights Reserved.